Wednesday, September 07, 2005

friends

I am always blown away by the blessing of good friends. It humbles me, it makes me feel loved, it makes me feel unworthy, it makes me feel so special, it always takes me by surprise.

I have two friends that week after week have not just been there for me, but have taken it to unknown notches during this difficult time.
Every time I want to crawl inside myself and just hide, they pull me back out, dust me off, give me a big hug and tell me its going to be okay. We laugh, we cry, we hold each other up. They've shown me what real friendship is. I had never experienced such kindness in my life. I've never known such devoted friendship.
Barb and Marilyn. These are two women that I work with. They know that on Sat Paul and I are flying to No. Carolina to see Justin, our son who is dying of cancer. I think they must feel as helpless as I do, wanting to do something to help.
Today when I came back from lunch, this huge bag of stuff was on my chair. They had gone to the store and bought stuff for our flight, apparently everything they could lay their hands on. Candy, snacks, gum, magazines, games, water, even a phone card for cryin' out loud!
They continue to amaze me day after day with their thoughfulness. It's not the stuff, its the thought behind it. I can never repay the kindness these two women have shown me. They are always there for me and I am so blessed to have them in my life.
I saw a card that said Friends are those rare people who ask how we are and then wait to hear the answer. These are the kind of friends they are.
Friends are like quilts... lives pieced together, stitched with smiles, colored with memories and bound with love. My friends. I love you guys

7 comments:

Nicole said...

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. It's good to have friends, and even better to realize what you have. God bless!

Sophia said...

Friends truly are one of our greatest blessings in life. I've wondered about Justin since reading your blog a few days ago. Have a safe trip and God bless your time together with Justin and his family.
Sophia

yolanda said...

I am so sorry for what you are going thru .I have been there as I took care of my mom for two years while she had cancer and as she died on hospice in my home I just want you to know that I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers .If you need to talk with someone who understands just email me.
yolanda in ms

Jennifer Stewart said...

Susan,

God bless you and your family during this difficult time. God gives us friends to show His love for us thru them. Wow, what special friends you have. I am so sorry for all you are going thru right now and am glad you have such special people in your life.

Jennifer

mal said...

vaya con dios. Some journeys are harder than others

Sophia said...

Susan, it's Monday night and I know that you are still gone, but I wanted you to know that you and your family has been on my mind all weekend. You are all in my prayers.

Sophia

Renee said...

Just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts. I can not even imagine what you are going through. Lord bless you.