Tuesday, November 22, 2005

giving thanks

Sometimes it's so easy to get caught up in the daily grind that I forget to step back and appreciate all of my blessings. Since this is thanksgiving week Im spending some time thinking about what I am thankful for over the past year.

Im thankful for my children. When I was elbow-high in dirty dishes and laundry, it was hard to be thankful for the rowdy little creatures that created such a mess - until they grew up and left home and I was only doing dishes for two.

Im also thankful that now Im only doing laundry and dishes for two. As much as I love my children, I also love that they have their own lives and I have mine.

I was blessed to have a mother and father who loved us, took good care of us, took us to church on Sundays, and taught us love, respect, and compassion. Even though we didn’t have a lot of money, we never knew it. When we disagreed, we always knew we were loved and that we would always have each other. I'm thankful for that.

I'm thankful for my family, warts and all. They're not perfect, they're not always completely normal, but they’re all good hearted people that all love our family. What more could you ask for?

I'm thankful for my husband. I'm thankful for his strengths, and also his weaknesses. I'm thankful that he's honest, loyal, responsible, disciplined, and that he's such a great father to our children.

I’m thankful for my home. I love being home more than anything else.
I'm thankful that out of the saddness this past year something good came of it. My husband was able to reconnect with his brothers and Mother after more than 5 years of being out of touch. Im thankful for the mended relationships.

Im thankful for grandchildren. What a blessing they’ve brought to our lives. This love is so different than raising our own children. Maybe its that Im older and appreciate how fast they grow up.

Having the wonderful hobby of scrapbooking in each and every day so I can document all the people and moments of my life that I am thankful for….

And I'm also thankful for all the little things in life, my two dogs, even though they cost me a fortune, having a few magazines request to publish my layouts this year, a brand new car, amazing friendships, both online and localy, re-chargeable batteries, my new washing machine that holds a huge amount of towels or jeans in each load, cookies, the colors all around me. I love color, my thanksgiving cactus that blooms when everything else is done for the season. Life would be bleak indeed without each and every one of these things.

I need to remember to take time to think about the things Im thankful for through out the year instead of once a year. To push me to think about this more often... Thursdays are going to become Thankful Thursdays from here on out...

6 comments:

Corinnexxx said...

love your entry! every day rushes by without being thankfull. thanks for the inspiration!

corinne5xxx

Wendy Reed (Wishin4MoreTime) said...

Your entry is beautiful! Days pass so quickly you tend to forget to stop and be thankful! Thanks for reminding us of the little things. :o)

Karen said...

What a great post! I myself was just complaining loudly on my blog about my kids being home all week but after reading your post I have new appreciation for the noise. Thanks!

Maria said...

Great post! I like your idea about Thankful Tuesday!

Maria said...

I mean Thankful Thursdays!
Also, HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING DAY TODAY!!!!

Sophia said...

I absolutely love this entry, Susan! Thanks for the reminders of so many wonderful blessings! Hope you are having a perfect weekend!

Sophia