Friday, November 04, 2005

time to get organized...

I swear Im going to do it every year and this year is THE year.
  • This year I'm going to get my holiday shopping done early (for me that means by Dec 10th).
  • This year Im not going to wait till the last minute and give gift cards just because its easier and everything has sold out.
  • This year I will not convince myself that a gift card is really what they want, and by giving a gift card we won't be spending money on stuff they'll never use.
  • This year I will create a spending plan and not stretch it so far out of shape.
  • This year I will give more homemade personal type gifts.

How will I do this you ask? Its really so easy once you realize....

Make a list! making my list of gifts is the all important step. By doing so I am able to get my shopping done early because I know what I need to buy.

I stay with my budget because its preplanned. I find that when I give gift cards I spend more money. Two reasons, first because I can't shop for bargins and second because obviously the person I'm giving it to will know exactly how much I spent on them. I don't want them to think Im cheap, so I get gift cards with lots of $$$.

By starting early and making that list, I know what I need to get to work making. I've already started on the album for Mom and Dad. I need to finish that this weekend. Finished means everything except for the pictures which I need to take some better ones and I think I can get them on Thanksgiving.

I will need to resist those all important impulse gifts that I run across that are just too perfect to pass up. I must keep in mind that I am not the all important person for making sure that every person has the most wonderful christmas of their lives. I just love to give gifts so this is one of the MOST important steps for me.

I plan to bake this year. My poor husband has suffered with no holiday treats for about 5 years now. Those 5 years I have strictly held to my diet. Being the loving supportive husband that he is, he goes along with it for me. Not this year. I will bake, and I will keep my eating of the said baked goodies to a mininum. We'll see :-) Thats the plan anyway.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

HEY! Who said gift cards were bad?? Unless you can find a personal gift that you know they will love gift cards ARE a good way to go! :)