Thursday, June 29, 2006

moments

I found a new blog today.
I know I know…. there are hundreds and hundreds of scrapper blogs.
That’s probably why I’m so selective about which ones I read. After all, there’s only so many hours in a day and its just too much. But I know already that this particular blog is going to become one of my daily must-reads.

Why?
Because it incorporates everything I love about scrapping, family, inspiration, and friendships all into one neat little package.
The blog I found is Melody Ross’s http://melodyross.typepad.com

To tell the truth, I knew she had a blog, but I assumed it was just another scrap celebrity blog promoting their product. Not that CBX product isn’t my all time most favorite scrapbook product, because it is. Its just that I don’t need in help furthering my addiction for it.When I read a blog, I want something different.
Anyway, one look at Melody’s blog and I knew that this was different.

She had me hooked with just this entry:
I'm going to drive all the way to Sonic for no other reason than to get myself my favorite drink, Diet Cherry Limeade...with fresh limes and cherries tucked inside.....and, I'm going to sit in my car, in the shade....and enjoy it.....while I listen to my favorite CD by Nickel Creek that everyone in my house is sick of.....then, I'm going to look around at the blue sky, the fluffy clouds and the mommies sitting on the metal chairs and tables wiping ice cream off of their baby's faces.....and I'm going to thank God that I am alive and have so many incredible things to be thankful for and to be happy about......and I'm going to choose to think only of those things for most of the day......

I get such a peaceful happy feeling just reading this entry. First of all I’m now having serious Sonic lust. Diet Cherry Limeade Sonic! I have got to find a Sonic around Washington somewhere!!! Love those slushy’s, love their ice pellets, love Cherry Limeade!
Getting past the Diet Cherry Limeade Sonic I read further…

reading this I can almost feel my stress level lower. I read it over and over again. What a simple thing to do to just allow yourself to just STOP your hectic pace, do something simple for yourself, breathe deeply and enjoy the moment and be truly and thoroughly thankful for it. We have that choice. We get to choose our attitude. Its such an easy thing to do, so why is it so hard?
The answer is, its not.
Its just not at the front of our consciousness.

She also posted this quote from Andy Rooney, which I love:

"For most of life, nothing wonderful happens. If you don't enjoy getting up and working and finishing your work and sitting down to a meal with family or friends, then the chances are that you're not going to be very happy. If someone bases his happiness or unhappiness on major events like a great new job, huge amounts of money, a flawlessly happy marriage or a trip to Paris, that person isn't going to be happy much of the time. If, on the other hand, happiness depends on a good breakfast, flowers in the yard, a drink or a nap, then we are more likely to live with quite a bit of happiness."
~Andy Rooney


I believe that each day gives you at least one gift. I really believe that.
Most days, these gifts are only small moments and most of the time we let them pass, unnoticed. We continue on with our day.
I know a few people who, I believe are just extremely happy people.
They radiate happiness. They always seem to be in a good mood.
When they tell you about their day, they seem to tell you the smallest most insignificat moments.
I have one friend who was telling me once how every day she saved her apple core from her lunch. See, one of her neighbors had a horse and Nancy would stop at the fence every night on her way home and feed that horse her apple core left from her lunch. She wasnt really a horse person, she just knew the horse loved the apple core so why throw it away. I remember her telling me about it and thinking how giddy she was over it. Sheesh, just throw the core away I thought....
But its not about that. Its about slowing down and enjoying the moments.
Starting today, I will really try to be on guard for these moments and enjoy them.
To make sure that I do, tomorrow I’ll be posting my moments from today.
Go out an make it a great day... come back and tell me your special moment from today. I want to hear about it :)

3 comments:

maria said...

This is such a great post....you really got me thinking...I love this statement of yours "each day gives you at least one gift." You are so right! I'll reflect on this and post again later tonight...and I'll try to check out this new blog you recommended.
And thank you for reading my blog! I'm honored to know I've made it into those selected few in your list :) You've just made my day. I guess I can say I've just found today's GIFT FOR ME ;)

Sharon said...

Hmmmm... thanks for this bit of inspiration Susan!
(Oh, and if Maria looks at these comments again... after finding a link on Susan's blog to yours the other day, I've added yours to my short list too!)

Cathy said...

Found your blog through Kellys...

Love this post. And I just have to brag a little that Spokane just got the first Sonic in Washington state...

We haven't been there yet. The lines are literally going around the block... I was thinking about taking the kids there today.

I've never been to one, so I have no idea what to order... but that drink sounds pretty delish!!!