Thursday, July 13, 2006

Summer fruit

Im so in love with the summer because summer means fruit.
I love fruit. Fruit of all kinds.
I love to shop for it, I love to bring it home and wash it. I love the bright colors of it.
Every day I usually carry at least 2 kinds of fruit to work with me. One for mid morning and one with my lunch.
This summer Im having a little bit of trouble eating my fruit (especially apples) because of these braces on my teeth, but where theres a will, theres a way. If all else fails, cook it. :-)
This week I made cooked apples to go with some sausages we BBQ'd.
Then theres this...




Cherry Coffee Cake. Can you say mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
Not so hard to make.
Cherry Coffeecake
For the topping:

1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 cups cherries (preferably red), washed and pitted
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
Thoroughly combine all of the topping ingredients in a bowl with a fork or with your fingers. Set aside.
For the cake:

8 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
Either with a wooden spoon or with a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix well.
Add the yogurt and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the batter all at once and mix just until the ingredients are wet. Don't over mix the batter.
Spread the batter into the prepared pan. The batter will be a bit sticky and might be difficult to spread but don't worry. Level it off as best you can.
Sprinkle the prepared topping evenly over the batter.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake.
Let cool completely before removing the cake from the pan.
Enjoy!

5 comments:

maria said...

Yumm! Looks wonderful...it makes me want to learn how to bake! I can't promise I will, but I might just get my hubby to make this for us...hee hee. I'll save the recipe! :)

Mo said...

Oh My HEAVENS!!!!!!!!! Save me a piece....I'm coming over!!!!! :D Mo

Suzelle said...

Oh my gosh......that looks SOOOOO GOOD !!!!!!!!!

Adrienne said...

That looks WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!

jill s said...

hey! is that really the purple haze lavender farm i see at the top of your blog?!?

ooooooooooohhhhhh. we went last year to the lavender fest. i SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO want to go back!!!