Tuesday, August 01, 2006

For Maria :-)

Okay this is for my friend Maria http://justmeagain.typepad.com who's been brave enough to test out some of my recipes on her family.
She was such a trooper the other day and made the ginger pear upside down cake, read about her experience in her blog.
So to redeem her in the eyes of her family, I promised I would post a recipe that would be a lot less stressful while still impressing her family.
Maria, this is sure to be a hit and I PROMISE, its as easy as can be!!!

Dump Cake
Makes 12 to 16 servings.

A mix of pineapple, sweet cherries and crunchy pecan can be yours by simply “dump” them in the pan and bake.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 50 minutes

Ingredients
1 - can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple with juice, undrained
1 - can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
1 - package classic yellow cake mix
1 - cup pecans or walnuts, chopped - optional
1/2 - cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, cut into thin slices

Directions
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 13x9-inch pan.

Dump pineapple with juice into pan. Spread evenly.
Dump in the whole can of pie filling.
Sprinkle the dry cake mix right out of the box evenly over cherry layer.
Sprinkle pecans over cake mix.
Dot with butter.

Bake for 50 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Serve warm or at room temperature with or without a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.

subsitutions
Subsitutions are endless...If you want to try something different, substitute canned apple or peach pie filling for the cherry pie filling and substitute spice cake mix for the yellow cake mix. Still use the crushed pineapple. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon on top of the cake mix before adding the butter.

I’ve seen recipes but haven't tried useing cherries and a devils food cake mix – sprinkle some chocolate chips over the cherry mixture before topping with the devils food cake mix- for black forest dump cake.

Use pecans, walnuts, almonds or none if you prefer. Use coconut in place of or along with the nuts…go crazy.
You really can’t go wrong. Use whatever kind you have on hand.

5 comments:

maria said...

Oh thank you, thank you so much! This one sounds really easy...let's see how I'll do with this one, LOL. I'll have to post the results next weekend. Thanks so much, really. If it wasn't for you, I probably would have never given it a try! :)

Toni said...

Ok, you have my mouth watering right now!!! sOUNDS SO YUMMY!

maria said...

Just wanting to let you know....I'll be trying it this Friday night....cross your fingers for me, will ya? And the last one I brought it to work and the girls at the office actually liked it (or maybe they just pretended they did to avoid hurting my feelings, LOL...no really, we added honey and it was yummy that way).

sherry said...

Susan, I have made this dump cake for years and it is always a winner with my bunch!

Anonymous said...

Wow! sounds yummy.!

Kelly Baker