Tuesday, October 17, 2006

felted purses

I consider myself a pretty crafty person.
But Im nothing compared to my Mom.
Last weekend we went to visit her, always an experience cause I get to see what she's been up to lately.
She does just about everything - Quilts, paints, any kind of needle craft, basket weaving, knitting and she even cards, dyes and spins her own yarn!
When she crafts she loves to get to the basic part of the craft, the bare bones. Like, she'll collect pine needles and weave a basket out of it, weave in rocks and pieces of driftwood that she's gathered.
At the moment she's back into knitting.
But she cant just knit like normal people.
No.
She got to basicly sheer the sheep before she can knit something LOL!
Seriously...she loves dying and spinning wool into yarn for her projects.
She belongs to a fiber guild in her area and they have monthly meetings.
Many of the ladies have their own sheep or lamas that they raise for the fleece.
They have it cleaned and carded, and then they use it and sell it.
They just had a huge sale that Im really sad I missed. Apparently one of the women has a farm with a huge beautiful barn where they have the fiber sales.
Im so sad I missed it, not because Im into spinning yarn, but because I imagine the pictures I could have taken :-) The colors are amazing, big balls of fluff. Mom says some ladies display their fiber by bunching it together and sticking it in a vase so it looks like flowers.
The photographer in me starts to twitch just thinking about it!
Anyway, with raw fiber you buy it in huge balls (about the size of a basket ball or a little larger) sometimes its dyed, sometimes not.
Sometimes mixed with other fibers like silk, sometimes its just a mix of stuff.
It was so interesting to see all the different kinds. Mom must have 3 rubbermaid tubs full of fiber of all colors, but mostly just the natural browns/tans.
I think she dyes them with kool-aide sometimes. So fun!
Anyway, at the fiber club sale she said she sold about 20 pairs of socks that she'd made ... pretty good I'd say.
But while she was showing me all the raw fiber she'd bought, I saw these sitting all over the place.
Shes been making felted purses. Arent they beautiful???
It takes her only two days to knit one, then she felts it.
Im hoping for one for Christmas. Already put in my color choices. I really love the green one with the purple stripes. My sister already put dibs on the periwinkle blue one.
She sold a few of them at the fiber guild sale but they didnt sell as well as she'd hoped. The problem is that you cant sell this kind of stuff to the kind of people who go to a fiber guild show. They make these themselves. Its like selling a pre-made scrapbook at a scrapbook convention. Your not going to sell many.
but next month she's going to be at the fiber guild booth at the fairgrounds and Im expecting that she'll sell quite a few of these puppies there.
I think they'd make an awesome Christmas gift.
I'm hoping for one :)
I love digging though her crafts room.
She's always got about a million projects going on in there so your never going to run across the same thing twice.
Cant wait to see what she's up to next time I go :)

7 comments:

maria said...

Wow...they are absolutely STUNNING....your mom rocks!

Suzelle said...

Oh my gosh.....cute, cute, cute !!!!

Amy W. said...

those are so stinkin' cute! :>

Anonymous said...

Your mom is very talented! They are really beautiful.

Reen said...

Your Mom is amazing! How fun are those purses?! I have a little felted clutch that E made for me and I cherish it!! Oh Gosh....Don't let E see these...she'll go nuts! LOL!!

Mo said...

WOWEEEEE!!!!!! These are BEE-UTIFUL!!!! Does your Mom work on commission!? :D Mo

Liberty's Yarn said...

Those are amazing! Your Mom is super talented and much more patient than I. :-)