Sunday, October 14, 2007

fried green tomatoes

So what do you do with all the tomatoes that all seem to ripen at the same time?
I need ideas because I'm overwhelmed with tomatoes these days. We only planted one tomato plant in our garden, but its still too many tomatoes for two people to eat.
I've been sending them to work with Paul so they don't go to waste.

I wanted to try an eggplant and tomato tart but I didn't have everything I needed to make it.
For variety, I picked some green ones the other day. Its been years since I've had fried green tomatoes and remembered how awesome they are. Paul was skeptical, but he's pretty willing to try anything I put in front of him.
Once again I was surprised on how sweet a green tomato is when its fried.
If you haven't made them before, you should. Its easy. Here's how I did it.

Slice your tomatoes, salt them and let them sit for about 10 minutes.
Your going to dip them in milk (some people use buttermilk), flour, egg and either bread crumbs or corn meal, in that order.
I was out of bread crumbs and plain cornmeal, but had some corn bread mix, the kind you just add water to.
It was fabulous.
Corn bread mix has just a touch of sugar that is so good....
Fry the dipped slices in a heavy skillet. I like to use my electric skillet so I can control the temp at 360 degrees.
and that's it.
Easy and so good.
and anything that helps me get rid of tomatoes is a good thing.
Since I was in a cooking mood this weekend, I also baked that cake I'd been promising that I'd make for weeks now. sweet pineapple upside down cake.












1 comment:

Suzelle said...

YUM, YUM, YUM !!!!!!!!!!!!!