Tuesday, December 04, 2007

you either love 'em or you don't


Me?

I love them.
At least I thought I did.
Im usually so excited every Christmas to pick up a few boxes of these. They bring back childhood christmas memories for me...like ribbon candy and those little lifesaver books.
We got those in our stockings every year.
So, the other day I grabbed a box of Queen Anne Cordial Cherries Target.
And they tasted awful...like brown wax over cherries.
Soooo not at all the way I remembered them.
Obviously I didnt have high hopes considering the cost of a box of these. After all, what would you expect for .99 a box?
And sure, I could buy more expensive cherry cordials with good milk chocolate, but these cheap boxes sold in the Walgreens stores are what I remember.
One more childhood memory shattered...
Maybe this yearI'll make some of these. Im not so much into candy making, but these look easy enough even for me...

Brandy Cordial Cherries
1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries with stems
1/2 cup brandy (optional)
1 (8-ounce) package semisweet chocolate baking squares, chopped
Drain maraschino cherries, and return to jar. Pour brandy, if desired, in jar; cover with a lid, and freeze 8 hours. Soaked cheeries can be left in the freezer for up to two days before you dip them into the chocolate.
Drain cherries, and pat dry, reserving brandy for another use.
Melt two-thirds of chocolate baking squares in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until a candy thermometer reaches 115°. Remove from heat; add remaining chocolate, and stir until candy thermometer reaches 89° and chocolate is smooth.
Dip cherries quickly into melted chocolate, coating well.
Place cherries on wax paper, stem sides up, and cool.

Also picked up some Cherry Cordial Hershey Kisses the other day...cant wait to try those!
That should about do it for my chocolate cherry fix for another year.

2 comments:

Reen said...

I'm in the "love 'em" crowd! I totally agree, then cheap ones were always the best! I hear ya on the quality of them....they aren't what they used to be. I stopped buying them too. If I find a better brand, I'll let you know.

Hey, I like that recipe...maybe we should try that one. I like the part in the recipe that says "...reserving brandy for another use"! hahahaha!! like...ummmm...sipping? :) I think I like it!

Suzelle said...

I'm in the "not" loving them crowd :( Never have acquired a taste for them.

Homemade on the other hand....bet they are yummy :)