Sunday, July 13, 2008

Watermelon and feta cheese salad

Last summer we had gone to my parents house for a BBQ and she was so excited about this new recipe.When she told me what it was made out of, I was skeptical to say the least.

Watermelon with feta cheese salad...

I know, huh? doesnt sound very good does it?
Well let me tell you, I was wrong. Its fantastic!

You see, feta is a salty cheese. Many people sprinkle salt on their watermelon so its not all that weird really.
I read some food blogs and there are a few different versions of it, one with cilantro and one with mint. One with red onion and one with Jicima
The amounts given here are only guidelines. Adjust it depending on your taste and ingredients.

Ingredients
Watermelon Mint Feta Salad1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup lime juice (4-6 limes, depending on how big and juicy the limes are)
A quarter of a medium sized watermelon, rind removed, black seeds removed (if there are any), chopped into 1-inch cube-ish pieces, about 8 cups
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped (optional)

Watermelon Jicama Cilantro1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup lime juice (4-6 limes, depending on how big and juicy the limes are)
A quarter of a medium sized watermelon, rind removed, black seeds removed (if not seedless), chopped into 1-inch cube-ish pieces, about 8 cups
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1-2 cups chopped peeled jicama
1 serrano chili pepper, stem removed, seeded, minced (optional)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Pinch of cumin, to taste

Method
1 Soak the chopped red onion in the lime juice while you are prepping the other ingredients, about 15 minutes.
2 Gently combine all ingredients into a large serving bowl.
Serve immediately.

Salad will get soggy if kept overnight.
Serves 6-8.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Hmmmm... I'm skeptical too! lol! But it looks good, I'll have to give it a try someday.

Suzelle said...

YUM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mo said...

I'm not so sure about this one but I will give it a try. I'll let you know what we think. :)