Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sundays are for soup

Today before we went to do our regular grocery shopping, I sat down with a few of my new books and made a menu for the week. Step one of the Ellie Kreiger book is to stock a pantry with healthy ingredients. I got lots of fruits and veges and spent some time getting it all washed, cut and ready to grab when Im packing lunches or making dinner.
I got some great rubbermaid type containers a few weeks ago that hold a ton of veges,
and I filled them up.



This is the one I picked to make first. Black eyed peas, ground beef, carrots, cabbage, green pepper, beef stock, canned tomatoes. and this is how mine came out.
and its really really good :)

When we were at TJ Maxx yesterday we found a great cookbook on soups. We love soups for dinner and the book was a bargain at under $8. I love searching through cookbooks and you can never have too many of them. You cant even buy a magazine for $8.
I really like this book because each page is a full size picture. The opposite page is the recipe.
The ingredients are simple, many of which I already have on hand.
I'd like to start making a big pot of soup each Sunday afternoon. We'll have soup for dinner, and leftovers for lunch the following week.

I took a few pictures of recipes that I have on my list to make in the next few weeks.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

I love your "soup plan" for the year, Susan! And good photos always help me when deciding on a recipe too. Glad you & Paul both like soup...I wish my hubby did too, then I'd copy your idea.

janel said...

Yum! I love that container for the veggies...such good ideas. I just went through your 2008 album and I just LOVE it. What a wonderful book..it is a treasure. Beautiful!

Suzelle said...

Oh Susan.....your soup idea is so cool. The one you made looks yummy !!!!

Love your veggies too....my hubby would LOVE this !!

Sue Thomas said...

The container idea for veggies is fantastic, Susan!!! I think it would work to get Andrea to reach for veggies as well!!!

Greg is fast into his winter soup making mode so we're eating plenty of it here as well. Love, love, love soup!!!!!