Thursday, November 26, 2009

being thankful


Sometimes it's so easy to get caught up in the daily grind and we forget to appreciate all of the blessings we have in our lives. Paul and I often talk about it. Thank goodness we have what we need. Thank goodness we have jobs, reliable cars, a nice home, our children and grandchildren, each other.

I think we’re pretty thankful on a day-to-day basis. Part of that comes from sometimes not having all of those things that we now have. Through hard work, we do okay. Thank goodness. Since this is thanksgiving week I'm especially thinking about everything that I am thankful for.

I'm thankful for my children. They are trying hard to establish their own lives and families, but they stay connected to Paul and I on a regular basis.

My parents and family...I was so blessed to have a mother and father who loved us, took good care of us, took us to church on Sundays, and taught us love, respect, and compassion. I know they don't always seem completely normal, and sometimes they drive me crazy, but they’re all good hearted people and I love them.

I'm thankful for my husband. I'm thankful for his strengths, and also his weaknesses. I'm thankful that he's honest, loyal, responsible, disciplined, and that he's such a great father to our kids. He loves me and he loves our children. He's good and decent and has a huge heart and sometimes endless sense of humor.

I’m thankful for my home. I love being home more than anything else. Its certainly got its issues, like a furnace that doesnt work at the moment, but Im so thankful we're having mild weather this week and that we have a woodstove if we need it.

I'm so thankful for grandchildren. I miss Kaylee so much, but am thankful that we live near Ethan and can see him on a regular basis. This love is so different than raising our own children. Maybe its that I'm older and appreciate how fast they grow up.

….And I'm also thankful for all the little things in life, my dog, my friends both online and locally, GeekSquad who helped me get Pauls computer running again last night, and last but not least, my new refrigerator :-)

Happy thanksgiving everyone.

2 comments:

Sue Thomas said...

What a wonderful post, Susan!!! Your life sounds very, very rich indeed!!!

Tracy said...

I enjoyed reading every word of your Thankfulness!