Sunday, January 17, 2010

something new

Paul and I love to eat out, but it seems like we always go to the same places. This year we decided to start something to shake thinks up a little and add a little fun. Each month we are going try a new restaurant. It can be anywhere within a days drive, and it can be breakfast, lunch or dinner.
I got to pick the January restaurant.

I picked a new restaurant that just opened last October called Boom Noodle in Bellevue. Funny name, but we learned that in Japan there is a popular term "my boom" that means the thing I am currently obsessed with.  They serve all kinds of soups, noodles, wok stir fry's and small plates. I picked it because we really enjoy Pho, japanese food and because it is right in Bellevue Square, and I had two Potterybarn gift certificates to use...so, food + shopping= a good day.
The decore was nice, although kind of sparse, but in a hip and kinda cool way, with big posters behind the bar and lots of fun hanging lights.

To start off we had some fresh spring rolls and Ahi Tuna tacos. We both loved the Ahi poke tacos since we're huge Ahi Poke fans. Ahi poke is raw tuna in a sesame oil, with some seaweed and other spices. It is delicious! These little mini tacos were in crisp shells with shredded carrot which added a crunchy sweetness. The sauce was too spicy for me, but Im a spicy wimp. Don't care for spicy, no thank you. But the tacos alone were perfect


I had Coconut Chicken Curry. It was spicy, but not too spicy.  Probably not my favorite thing ever, but it was good.
Not sure I'd have it again if I went back so I'd probably rate it as a 2.5 on a scale of 1-5


Paul had Tokyo Ramen.  It was braised pork, tamago (egg), bamboo shoots, green onion, soy seasoned chicken pork broth.

On a scale of 1-5, he says he rates it a 4. Really...a 4? I cant imagine, but he is easy to please, I guess.


As a first effort, it was a fun choice. Im sure we'll go back again.
Next month, Paul's choice. We'll see where he decides to take us.

5 comments:

elizabeth said...

I've been wondering about that place. A friend and I went to a pho place in Southcenter (near the Kohl's) and it was really good. I can't think of the name, but we'll go back for sure.

Reen said...

I've never been to a pho place. My family just isn't that adventurous! I'd love to try it sometime.

Tracy said...

Looks Delish! I'm a noodle bowl lover! Thanks for the fun visuals!

Anonymous said...

So glad you enjoyed your new adventure. Love those pics of the two of you... very cute :)

Cori

Mo said...

HOLY HANNAH! That place look so COOL and the food looks DELISH! You and Paul are A-DORABLE!!!!