Thursday, July 22, 2010

Blogoversary and summer crafts

July 20th was my blogs 5 year anniversary!
I just realized five years ago I wrote my first little blog post here. It's really hard to believe its been that long.
It has never once felt like an obligation because I've always enjoyed writting. My personal rule: I won’t write unless I want to write. There are weeks, maybe months when I don't feel I have anything I want to write about. But then there are days that I could write several posts each day. If you've been around since then, I want to humbly offer a sincere thank you to you for being my friend :-)

This has nothing to do with my Blogoversary, but I found this fun craft idea I wanted to share.
I've seen a bunch of these cute tile pendants made from scrabble tiles. Adorable.
Even cuter when the letter on the back is one of your initials.  I think Im going to be on the hunt for an old scrabble game at the goodwill so I can make some. I love them on a chain, but think they would be really cute on a ribbon or a silk cord too.
I may have an old scrabble game somewhere even, or maybe tossed it. (*slaps forehead)
Could be some really cute stocking stuffers!


















Instructions and photo courtesy of this adorable Etsy shop peachy pendants
She's got some beautiful already made pendants for sale.

Here's another craft that I'm itching to try. When I was younger we made all kinds of things out of magazines. Not having a lot of extra cash my Mom was always on the lookout for ways to keep us busy during the summertime and not spend a lot any money on supplies.
Magazines seemed to be readily available so we did a lot with them. We spent hours folding Readers Digests into Christmas trees and spray painting them gold or cutting the pages out and rolling them around a pencil or wire and gluing them to make beads.
Lately I've seen rolled magazine art reappear in trendy boutiques everywhere. I'd like to use up some of the brightly printed pages making something like this sometime.

This craft project was posted on rag and bone but they havent yet posted the promised instructions.
Apparently its made from a wire wreath form. I think it would be really cute with a round mirror attached to the center.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan, I love the new "look." Congrats on your blogoversary! My daughter just got a cute new mirror like that one with the magazine pages rolled around the round glass. She loved it the minure she saw it at the store!

Maria Hammon

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogoversary Susan!!!!
Christie