Sunday, June 26, 2011

even though its been a spring thats more like fall...

My Peony still knows its time to do this....
And I always know its the middle of June, because my Peony tells me so.  Its like clockwork.

And it smells amazing.
They say peonies are kind of touchy and I don't consider myself as having a green thumb, but somehow I have these growing in my yard.  I plant something and it will either live or die. If it struggles, I have no idea how to help it. I'll do my best to give it a proper start, but for the most part my plants are on their own.
My peonies and my lilacs are superstars though. They make me look good in the neighborhood.


Fortunately, I planted my Peonies in the right place for them to do well...it was purely accidental, believe me.
They were one of the first things I planted when we moved into this house 16 years ago and I wish I had planted them somewhere different. But here they are, and I dont intend on moving them. There are two main clumps and I have split off 2 smaller plants to other areas of the yard. Those are not doing quite as well as the two original plants, yet. Peonies take time to really bloom well....and they don't like to be moved. Mine are growing right smack in the middle of a big patch of ivy. Somehow, they always seem to grow up through the ivy and bloom like crazy. My bushes are truely amazing and always FULL of flowers, and I love them for making me look like I know what Im doing.

The blooms are the size of a dinner plate which is awesome because one two or three flowers is a stunning bouquet. Many more and the fragrance might overwhelm you. They are VERY fragrant.
I love plants that make me look like I know what Im doing

3 comments:

Ramona said...

OH MY GOODNESS! Susan! Your flowers are GORGEOUS!!!!!!

Tracy said...

WOW, Susan! Those blooms are unbelievable. I can relate to your comments as to plants either making it or not in your garden (I don't even call mine a garden, mine's a yard, sadly) But for some unknown reason, I have been successful with orchids, only indoors. Congrats...Your peony's are AWESOME!

maria said...

Your peonies are truly GORGEOUS, Susan! :)

Happy 4th of July weekend! :)